Healthcare is available to children without insurance and whose parents cannot afford treatment.
Our Role: Work with community organizations to build a comprehensive effort to promote children’s health.
- Raise community awareness of the different health problems affecting children and adolescents
- Provide individuals with knowledge and skills to recognize, identify, and address these problems
- Provide guidelines for health management
- Help provide safe environments and promote healthy lifestyles for children and adolescents
- Provide education and training to childcare professionals, such as teachers, coaches, counselors, daycare workers, church youth workers, scout leaders, etc.
- Work in cooperation with youth organizations to offer health fairs and seminars for parents and families.
Who Can Participate:
Schools, preschools, daycares, after-school programs, boys/girls clubs, children’s camps, sports leagues, faith-based organizations (churches, YMCA, The Salvation Army), dance groups, cultural organizations and any other organizations with facilities or programs serving children.
Health consequences of obesity, food groups, servings sizes and portion control, Nutrition Facts label reading, importance of breakfast, healthful snacks, healthful cooking methods, healthful and economical alternatives to high- and empty-caloric foods, healthful habits.
Physical activity is promoted within the context of nutrition education.
All trainings and seminars are available weekdays, weeknights, and weekends and can be available in English, Spanish and Armenian.
We are available to meet with representatives from different organizations and to present further information about these projects.
**All programs are offered free of charge**
First Grade Dental Education Program: provides oral health hygiene and nutrition information in 1st grade classrooms throughout the GUSD. Introduces children to the importance of oral health and hygiene, teaches proper brushing technique, encourages flossing and rinsing, teaches basic nutrition concepts for oral and overall health, and stresses the importance of regular dental exams. Program is taught by trained volunteers who teach from a prepared curriculum and lesson plans. It is composed of 3 modules, each in a fun and interactive format using puppets, cartoons and oversized dental gear!!
Tots ‘n Teeth: provides age- and developmentally appropriate oral health instruction to 2-5 year old children across various organizations and preschools in the community. Children take home goodie bags filled with dental hygiene tools, as well as educational material for the parents.